"Cat's out of the Bag" Alaska Bound

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

"Cat's out of the Bag" Alaska Bound

Postby libby the lab » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:15 pm

I was pretty excited planning on Iditarod 2022 start with a tour that had a flight out to checkpoint BUT my only niece decided she was having her destination wedding at very expensive resort in Malibu CA in Feb 2022. No way I can swing that and Iditarod start SO after getting a crazy low airfare into Anchorage and out of Fairbanks ($234, I can't fly from KC to ST Louis for that) I am headed to Alaska August 23-31 2021!!!
Finalized my itinerary today and will share more later but highlights are: Idit HQ with Reddington cart ride, tour at Martin Buser's, train to Whitter and 26 Glacier tour, train to Denali and 13 hr trip 92 miles into the park, train to Fairbanks, Day trip to Chena Hot Springs! Last thing to try to squeeze in a fishing!

I am SOOOOO excited!
Oh and yes I did get input from Dr. Mike!
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Re: "Cat's out of the Bag" Alaska Bound

Postby fladogfan » Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:39 pm

And I'm excited for you! Look forward to reading about all your adventures. Have a blast! 8-)
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby sc-race-fan » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:54 am

OK, so I'll miss you at the start next March, but sure sounds like a great trip. Some of the places you are scheduled to go to are also on my itinerary, so I will expect a good report on all the activities. Enjoy.
Proud PaPa of the triplet litter; Aidan (B), Bailey (G), and Cameron (B). Cameron is on top in picture; Bailey, of course, is the bowhead!!
sc-race-fan

Location: formerly Columbia, South Carolina, now residing in Mooresville, North Carolina

Postby fladogfan » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:50 am

Getting closer and closer libby the lab. Tomorrow we will be in August!
One thing you'll have to your benefit is daylight and warmer.
fladogfan

Postby JerseyGirl » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:45 pm

Dear Libby,
Wishing you a trip of a lifetime! Sounds like you’ll be posting lots of updates as you travel, and many of us will become armchair travelers! Prayers for safe travel and an awesome trip!
Best regards,
JerseyGirl
JerseyGirl

Location: New Jersey in my heart, Tennessee with our grandchildren

Postby txbennett » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:43 am

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Green with envy! Enjoy your journey and keep us posted if you have time.
TXbennett
txbennett

Postby libby the lab » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:05 pm

I am back and have posted lots of pic on our FB page and on my FB page. I am forgetful and can't remember how to post pics here. I ended up getting to visit Martin Buser's Happy Trails Kennel and Jeff King's Husky Homestead. Bonus got to see the dogs at Chena Spring's Kennel which included many retire dogs from Lance and Aliy. Ramie and Barbara Reddington gave cart rides at Iditarod HQ and some of the dogs were on Ryan's Iditarod team. WHEN CAN I GO BACK?????
RIP Libby and Hank

libby the lab

Postby sc-race-fan » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:03 pm

You could skip the wedding and go back for the start! I sure enjoyed your pics and along with my son's family who was there the same time, I got lots of views of Alaska. I'm sure it will look different in the snow, when I go, but I will try to post some of my pics too. Did you post to Facebook from your phone, or did you take an I-pad or laptop?
Proud PaPa of the triplet litter; Aidan (B), Bailey (G), and Cameron (B). Cameron is on top in picture; Bailey, of course, is the bowhead!!
sc-race-fan

Location: formerly Columbia, South Carolina, now residing in Mooresville, North Carolina

Postby fladogfan » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:48 pm

Thanks to Moose I have seen some of your pics on face book. Maybe include a link here to the pics?

Hoping for a full trip report ;) Looks like a lot of fun. Maybe destination of wedding could change to NOME in March! Beautiful and lots to see and do too.
fladogfan

Postby libby the lab » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:10 pm

I posted those pics and update from my Iphone.
I am working on a google album that I will share the link to when it is finished. I have been busy catching up on work this past week :(
RIP Libby and Hank

libby the lab

Next

Return to Mushing Talk