Place to put News and Articles and Videos

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Place to put News and Articles and Videos

Postby libby the lab » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:52 am

Update on the Deeters for the folks smart enough to stay off of FB: "Jeff and KattiJo left White Mountain together at 3:52am. I expected to wake up and find them trucking along to Nome, but no. I woke up to find their trackers stopped on the trail. Ugh!
Reports from that section of trail have said the wind has been pretty crazy through there, so I figured they might be stuck in a ground blizzard and hunkered down. I got an inReach message from Jeff that confirmed just that. He said they are hung up in a ground blizzard and have dug into the side of a hill for shelter. He said they have plenty of food and the dogs are all secure. I’ve been checking wind forecasts and relaying that info to them, so they can hopefully break camp when there is a brief lull and get to the shelter cabin on the coast 4 miles away. Based on the tracker they are likely with Sebastien, so there’s a little group of them together.
I’m off to set up the dog yard for the impending arrival, whenever it may be. I’ll keep you posted as we know more, but for now we wait."
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby fladogfan » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:20 pm

flowerpower wrote:I find this really infuriating that the ITC did not put out any kind of press release or info about this until called to task by the Yukon Quest (apparently) and others.
Iditarod Lost Dog Update...
Leon, a dog from the team of Sebastien Dos Santos Borges (bib #44), escaped out of the returned dog area at the Ruby checkpoint the evening of Sunday, March 13. The Iditarod, along with Ruby community members and the team’s handler, have been actively searching the area since Sunday evening but have so far been unsuccessful at locating Leon.
Leon is very shy, so please do not approach him. Instead, please call 907-248-MUSH (6874) and report the location. The handler on-site in Ruby is in active communication with the Iditarod.
The Iditarod’s chief veterinarian has been involved with Leon’s status from the beginning. Word-of-mouth communication between the rural communities, as well as social media posts, have been paramount in this search effort, and the Iditarod would like to thank the trail communities and its followers for their assistance and support in the search for Leon.

I still find no info about this lost dog on the ITC site.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby flowerpower » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:54 pm

No they seem to have FINALLY posted on FB , but I read they didn't notify the handler until she called to ask about picking the dog up. WTH?!? :evil:
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby mira » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:34 pm

I got it in my Instagram feed yesterday, from YQ....
mira

Postby fladogfan » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:05 pm

mira wrote:I got it in my Instagram feed yesterday, from YQ....

Don't know how to put this...but YQ having to report the lost dog info is discusting . Plus i can't spell.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk