Video Snippets

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Video Snippets

Postby elsietee » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:20 pm

Travis in Koyuk (looks tired and puffy):

Going as good as it can be. Have a few small nicks and dings on my leader (Queen) that's been doing it for me the whole race since dropping my main leader, so I'm a little bit nervous <laughs>. She's 4 yrs old, she's never raced past Rohn before, so she's been my super-star, getting it done, but she's a little bit sore, so she might be staying here.

We're going to make it!
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:26 pm

Aaron B in Koyuk:

Fresh off a nap - well-rested, but still sleepy. Took an extra hour of rest there. When I fed them, I told them we'd be heading out in three hours - and it's already been 4.5, so they're getting two extra hours of rest.

We had a hold-up in Shak last night, so the dogs got a break, and came over here strong today, and now we're racing with 15 teams for 3rd place and I thought 'You know, we came here to win the ID this year, we didn't come here to race 15 teams for 3rd place', so we're just going to enjoy the ride from here to Nome - whether it's 15th place, or 3rd place - we're just going to enjoy the last few runs here.

Lots of people and friends came by to visit while he was caring for the dogs.

Gives a shout out to his friends and family - said they had a weather issue in Shak, and also a bit of a health issue with the team and wanted to give them a bit more of a break to keep them 100% healthy, so it worked out to rest the dogs while waiting for the wind. Unfortunately a lot of teams caught up because the weather hadn't kicked in for them.

So just going to enjoy a fun ride from here to Nome.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:23 pm

Brent in WM:

Using his ski pole to the end, coming in the last half mile to WM. Sounds a little hoarse calling to the dogs.

"Ah boy... we made it."

Q: How are you feeling?

"In shock, maybe. I don't really know yet. It was a really good run this morning, that was fun, these guys did excellent. It's a little surreal to be honest. It's been a hell of a race for these guys. I'm super proud of them ...and I'm tired, for the record <laughs>. I'm going to get some sleep here - 8 hours is plenty to lay down... but, yeah, I'm kind of speechless to be honest - that I'm here in WM, as the number one musher, with one run left to go in the ID. Kind of a dream.

[Dallas] has almost been up there the entire race. It's hard to take him out because he keeps the speed up, more than anything, and the same thing with her [not sure who he's referring to there?]... and they're really good at just going through checkpoints without any hesitation.

Every dog in the team - I picked the breeding and raised every single one of them. They're all six... him [Slater], and Woody, and then the other pink one, who's name is Pink, ... er, he's not pink, he's orange... they're all littermates..."
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:34 pm

Dallas in WM:

Also ski poling coming in.

Checker: "Hey Dallas, welcome to Nome..."

Dallas: <laughs> "Uh, we're not quite there yet..."

[someone's awake!?]

Q (Heister): Can you take him? Can you win this race?

Dallas, immediately "no <laughs>, unless something goes wrong. I don't think so. I don't know his time, but isn't he like three hours ahead? Ever since Cripple, this race has kind of been over for us - I think I told you back there, we kind of have to build the team back up, and that's what I've been working on, but it's tough when you have a three hour deficit.

They're doing great [as he is handing out snacks to eager dogs] we ran a hell of a race with them, and I'm pretty damn proud of getting them here, the way they looked at the beginning and the sickness and everything, to get it back together as a team, that we can actually be here in a pretty dang acceptable position, I should say. And you don't win them all, but every 1,000 mile race is about facing challenges with your dog team - our challenges this year didn't happen to be the competition, it was getting over sickness and that sort of stuff - and we achieved that, we're here, and I think we have a pretty solid lead over third [looks back up the trail, laughing], and Brent ought to be proud - good run!
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:37 pm

Joar in Koyuk:

Liz "It's very windy here!"

Joar: "It was very windy - wind straight in your face the whole time, and it just got worse and worse, so very happy when I could see Koyuk. Dogs are doing well. Did super in the wind - it's just super hard to run straight into the wind for 4-5 hours straight."

Says he's going to take a nap.
elsietee

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk