Kaltag - Unk - Shak - Koyuk - Elim - WM

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Kaltag - Unk - Shak - Koyuk - Elim - WM

Postby klmobile » Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:14 am

The live feed shows Ryan booting up his team, tracker has Peter about an hour out of UNK.
Ryan will be gone before he gets there. When we were in Alaska in 2018, we got to meet Raymie Reddington and his wife at the Iditarod headquarters. Took the dog ride with Raymie and then hung out for almost an hour before another tour bus showed up and they had to go back to work. One of the questions I asked was why Ryan couldn't keep from doing the jack rabbit starts then scratches in last several races at the time. He said that was a touchy issue for Ryan and that he had kinda held back from giving to much advise because nobody wants to listen to their Dad. They were still incredibly proud of their boys and mention as they get older they'll figure it out. I bet they are on the edge of their seats right now :!:
Don't Buy Cheap work Boots!!
klmobile

Postby libby the lab » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:11 am

klmobile- I agreed Ryans parents were so awesome to talk to and take ride with when I was there in Aug 2021. Rooting for him to take it all. Heck maybe some of his dogs he is running this year gave me a ride when I was there :D
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby klmobile » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:29 am

They were so nice and full of stories, Barb talked about the time they were on the Alaska police reality show when someone had stolen one of Joe's old sleds. I’m hoping Ryan can keep this pace for another 250 miles.

Run Ryan Run
Last edited by klmobile on Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't Buy Cheap work Boots!!
klmobile

Postby elsietee » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:54 am

Let's review the overnight excitement on the trail between Kaltag and Unk:

(this is complicated by the clocks going forward, so I may mess up some times. Further complicated by the fact that the replay tracker time appears to jump backwards an hour before jumping forwards two hours)

Kaltag = mile 652
Unk = mile 733
Distance = 81 mile

As predicted, Ryan ran all the way from Kal to Unk in one run. I don't see any blips on the tracker showing he stopped for more than a very quick snack. He had good speed the whole way, but in reality only pulled out a mile or two on Pete.

Pete passed Richie around 685, 33 miles into the run and by the time they stopped, Pete was about 1.5 mile ahead of him.

Pete stopped 16 miles from Unk - in the video interview he seemed pretty positive with where he was at and said he was happy with what the team had done. He said he wasn't "a big, crazy move kind of guy - unless you have the team for it at the end - and you hope to save that for the end. I hope we have something we can do here at the end, but the whole race has been setting the team up for ... being able to go up the coast with a strong team and decent speed can be a huge benefit to that team, so that's what we've been trying to do". He says he's tired, ready for a real night's sleep, but "this is what we sign up for. A lot of miles back there dozing off, and I don't know sometimes how I don't lose the sled". He says he had to pull out his toothbrush and brush his teeth vigorously to wake himself up. This was the first night he really struggled with falling asleep.

He rested at 3:15 am (and Richie stopped almost identically behind him... could he see Pete's light up ahead?). At 7 am, he was off again (rest = 3:45)

Richie rested a little longer - 4.5 hours - presumably hoping to put some speed back into the team.

By the time Pete went through Unk, he was 52 mins behind (he left Kaltag 37 mins behind Ryan).

Further back, there were lots of strategies in play.

Jessie set out and stopped at Tripod Flats (? mile 678) rested for 5.5 hours (?)(his other stats show 4 hours, so not clear) 26 miles into the run (Dan Kaduce is resting in the same spot right now - note at this point, he has been the only one to go through Kaltag without stopping). Jessie got going before Nic and Christian passed him.

Next out was Eddie who stopped at Old Woman Cabin (mile 695) 4:50 am for 3 hours. While he was resting, rabbiting Matt Hall passed him, along with Wade, and a FLYING Hunter (who had already passed Matt Failor and Kelly on the trail ahead of him). Hunter sneakily pulled in just 1,500 ft further down the trail - keeping an eye on Eddie?). Eddie was joined by Matt Failor and Kelly at Old Woman.

Matt Hall ultimately stopped at 7:00 am, while Wade passed him and stopped a couple of miles down the trail at 7:40 am. They were about 3-4 miles from Richie's resting spot further down the trail.

As soon as Eddie jumped up, Hunter followed suit, starting out right ahead of him (sneaky!). Hunter passed a resting Hall at 9:15, while Eddie passes Hall 12 minutes later (have to see how that time differs at Unk).

Mille showed up at Old Woman at 8:15 am. About five miles before that, she has a weird blip on her tracker where she appears to go backwards for a few hundred feet... wondering what that was about?...

It looks like Christian is pulling into Old Woman as I type this at 9:40.

Kelly rested for 3 hours at Old Woman, pulling out right before Christian got there.

(the tracker is doing this weird creeping thing where it shows the musher going down the trail very, very slowly ahead of when they actually start moving. Saw this with both Jessie and Matt Hall's trackers leaving Kaltag, and Kelly's does the same at Old Woman).
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby mira » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:58 am

I think there are a few spots where the tracker might have a bad spot..
mira

Postby elsietee » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:59 am

Field at 10 am:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:38 am

Richie camped before Unk:

Feels pretty good, but trying to figure out the time change <laughs>. Says things are going well, dogs ate really well here and he's going over to Shak, then will see where he stands compared to Pete and Ryan, and do what they have to do to try and compete with them at that point. Hard to compare to the other two teams. He says he's guessing Pete is camped "somewhere out there" - so he couldn't see Pete's headlight).

Matt Hall outside Unk:

"Running fast and strong and running to a schedule for the first time, which seems to be playing into my favor."

Interviewer: "Are you happy with where you're at?"

Matt: "I am... although I don't know fully where I'm at... I see at least two sets of runner tracks in front, but I don't know if there's two or six, or eight... "

Says he saw teams at Old Woman, but that doesn't mean he's in front, since they will leap-frog him. Expects all the strategies will land everyone together in Koyuk, so that's where he expects to actually see how he's positioned in the race. Then the "mad dash to WM".

Asked why he stopped here - says that he's planning to jump Unk, so has been planning this stop for 2-3 days now, trying to set the team up for it - staying in striking-distance - and this is where the front-runners generally stop to do that. So he's trying it. Did it last year, but was running a much more conservative schedule, taking longer breaks and coming from further in the back of the pack - but he likes how it worked out, so repeating it this year.

elsietee

Postby elsietee » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:45 am

Ryan leaving Unk:

Switched to a lighter sled. This has been one of his past-weaknesses - being too heavy. This is the first time in 15 years he sent a sled to Unk. Had a feeling about the greatness of the dog team and wanted to be prepared just in case.

Says Pete and Richie are the best two at hunting people down, but he's enjoying being the hunted.

Heister asks how it is to be a Redington up front - that it's a first: Ryan says Ray was up there with the front runners at Elim the year Mitch won, but he's been thinking a lot about his grandpa and his dad - and pretty happy that he chose a path to be a musher just like them. Says his family never put pressure on him to win. Says it's still a long way to go to Nome, but you have to be in position - and he's having fun trying and enjoying what he's done so far.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:10 am

Bruce and Heister at Unk:

Bruce says that Pete Kaiser's team still looks AMAZING - doesn't think he's ever seen Pete's team look so good.

Says to watch the teams' times between Unk and Shak to see what speed they're doing.

Ryan looks really good - but, oh boy, the teams behind him... Expects Ryan to go out to the shelter cabin on the spit. Wonders if Pete and Richie may stop in Shak for the speed convenience.

The teams are so evenly matched, it's recovery that is going to matter - how short a rest can you give the dogs without impacting speed?

Ryan is ahead of John Baker's record speed by 1.5 hours... and Pete is also ahead of that time.

They will need a really good leader to win if the wind comes up.

The race for 4th-9th is really hotting up, as well as ROTY. Will likely be bigger battles - and "who can stay awake the longest". :)

They are headed to Koyuk next.
elsietee

Postby tanglefoot » Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:41 pm

ryan has just pulled in to Shak
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk