Testing Flash Pano Conversion

The BSSD Student Broadcasting Team will be working in the field to provide as much coverage of the 2009 Iditarod as possible. This is a multi-village student project, and so everything you see is result of many students working together. Use this forum to offer comments, suggestions, requests, and feedback. This area also houses links to past IditaProject video, pictures and audio.

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Testing Flash Pano Conversion

Postby Johncn » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:27 am

This is a testing using Diomede panorma in QTVR, but converted to Flash:

Johncn
"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai & Confucius

John Cn
Professional Amateur
Email: john@teachers4Schools.com
Johncn

Skype ID: Johncn2

Re: Testing Flash Pano Conversion

Postby txbennett » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:20 am

I don't know if you need any responses, John, but if you do I received the picture, which appears to be in sepia tones rather than true color. Perhaps it is in reality a "sepia" landscape.

TXbennett
txbennett

Postby dilli » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:29 am

txbennet .. did you wait for the picture to load, then left click and move your mouse up down, let and right?

AWESOME Diomede panorama toy!! Even works for a turtle speed dialer-upper!!!!

*High fives ((((JohncAn)))))*
ps .. where on Planbet Earth, pray tell, is this diomede panorama? Unk????
Certainly would be very handy during a certain sled dog race. This dial upper wonders how long it would take to load when mushers start pulling in and out of the Unk checkpoint. LOL .. more to be revealed.
:lol: :D :lol:
We've got treats
dilli

Postby txbennett » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:45 am

Thanks for the Brownies, Dilli, and for the directions on how to use this panorama toy. You are right, it is awesome and seems to be working very well. However, my picture still appears to be sepia rather than full color. That's probably just the way the light works in Alaska in January -- there may not be much color. ;) ;)

TXbennett
txbennett

Postby Moose » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:46 am

This is so cool. I get no movement with up or down, but left and right and zoom in and zoom out work mighty fine.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Johncn » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:06 pm

Hey Folks,

My plan is to have students post panoramas here of all the checkpoints that they can during the race, but having issues displaying them in this forum's code.
So, I'm trying to build a custom plug in for the board, but having some issues. Appreciate the feedback.

The reason the colors look odd is that only the "pre-load" low resolution data is displaying, and it is in sepia tones. That's the issue I'm having. It's not supposed to look like that, as there is a full color version ;-)

Here is the link to the actual Flash panorama:

Diomede Village - Ice Fog & Russia
http://www.bssd.org/dio_standing_place_fog.swf

The trick is writing some code that will allow the panorama to display and be manipulated in the forum itself. I think it's a fixable thing. Not sure if there INTEREST, but I think it's doable. Let me know if you think panoramas of the checkpoints would be worth doing, or not.

Now, about Diomede village. It is on Diomede Island, which is where the Bering Strait separates the Bering Sea (to the south) and the Chuckchi Sea (to the north). We have a school there. It roughly 1.5 miles from the International Dateline. So....the cliffs you see in the panorama are "tomorrow". The place where the pano is shot is "today", and the cliffs across the Strait are 23 hours ahead as the earth turns. You are looking "into the future", in a way. Here is a diagram of this:

Here is our BSSD recruiting video done by former teacher Bill Bryson and some students. You probably remember Bill from the SBT coverage.

Diomede Video
http://wiki.bssd.org/index.php/Diomede_Overview

Thanks again for the eyeballs.

Regards,

Johncn

John Cn
Professional Amateur
Johncn

Postby Johncn » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:24 pm

Hmmm....How about a little cheat? I'll pull it into an iFrame, but that is not what I want to use:

John Cn
Professional Amateur
Johncn

Postby Moose » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:25 pm

Wow! Talk about being perched on the edge! Talk about being carved out of stone! Amazing landscape, but as I sit here in my cozy little house nestled among tall trees, it looks amazingly inhospitable there. The folks must be extremely resilient, adaptable, and hard-working. Oh, and beautiful. The children are just beautiful. I've gotta ask, though, with the village situated as it is at the base of that rocky slope, are rock or landslides something they contend with on a regular basis?

When I was in school oh so many, many years ago, geography was a favorite subject of mine. For quite a few years I thought I'd go into cartography, but life intervened. I'm pleased to say all these oh so many, many years later that I knew were the Diomede Islands are when I read the name. One just never knows what will pop up out of one's memory banks when it's least expected. :shock:

I think the check point panoramas would be awesome, John, but not if it takes up so much of your time that other projects suffer. You do so much as it is!

Ooh. I just hit Send but got bounced back as you posted while I was composing. Awesome update!
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby fladogfan » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:10 pm

WOW! This is so cool! I like this alot, thanks, John.
fdf
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Johncn » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:42 pm

Hey all,

Here is the GOOD one. That is Russia across the way.....Diomede on a clear day is spectacular! 8-)

http://www.bssd.org/standing_place_hires_out.swf

Zoom in is Shift, and Command / Apple key is zoom out

John Cn
Professional Amateur
Johncn

Next

Return to IditaProject Video, Images & Audio